Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Nuku Hiva...again!

Fresh caught Yellowfin tuna being prepared for market in Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva
Everyday the fishermen come in with their catch and clean the fish right at the docks. All the guts and left over body parts are thrown into the waiting swarm of sharks circling below! It's a daily sight and quite scarey looking!  It's a curious tourist attraction. All the cruisers park their dingies here, too.  I just hope no one falls in by accident!

.
Inter-island outrigger race- red boat Ua Poa wins!

There was an inter-island outrigger race on Saturday. The teams with and support boats flew by us in the anchorage. Was pretty cool!

May 17
My Birthday!  I thought for sure we would be in the Tuamotus for my Birthday  and I would be deciding on which black pearl to buy. Oh well, we are still in the Marquesas, waiting…for the shroud repairs. 

Can’t decide if I should have a  real Marquesan tattoo for my birthday?? John and I walk to the tattoo artist just to look at the designs…I pick out a beautiful flower design…but, still undecided. Then we walk later to the Pearl Lodge, an exlcusive resort high on the hill overlooking the bay. We enjoy drinks and ice cream with friends while swimming in the pool overlooking the bay. There I fall in love with a beautiful black pearl necklace!.. now, what a choice..black pearl or tattoo??! 
Breeze invites us over for cocktails and dinner to celebrate my birthday. Fun. Everyone says “get the tattoo”! I "stew" overnight about it.

My birthday present, a beautiful black pearl necklace!

May 18 
Next morning  my “birthday Window” is closing fast and my choice is made…it’s Yes for the black pearl, No for the tattoo…at least for the moment!




3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Sue! Love the new black pearl necklace and look forward to seeing pictures of your tattoo. Looks like you guys are haing some great adventures. Brian is VERY jealous. Hope your shrouds get fixed quickly. Elizabeth & Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice with the pearl! Love the pictures and blog. Happy birthday! Cyn and John (svAlcyone)

    ReplyDelete